Monday, January 23, 2012

shopping my closet

The 80/20 rule really does apply to everything: love, work and now wardrobe. I heard recently that "you wear 20% of your wardrobe 80% of the time" and the more I get to thinking about it, the more I realize it's true. I have a few rotating favorites that I tend to stick with, often overlooking older pieces. I have a closet full of rarely worn items and, despite how much I get rid of every season, I find that I'm doing laundry when my closet still looks full.
Having realized this, I'm on a mission to create outfits from unexpected combinations in my closet. Add that to the fact that I am in no position to be spending money shopping (my upcoming trips to Puerto Rico and California are draining me dry) and I have to perfect recipe for saving money while still refreshing my wardrobe.

This is the first of many outfit combinations I'm putting together without going shopping.
{Top: BCBGMaxAzria; Skirt: French Connection, Shoes: Michael Kors (found at a consignment store for a total steal!), Bag: The Electric Boutique, Watch: Fossil}
I love each of these pieces but it really surprised me that I couldn't remember the last time I wore them. In keeping with my new combinations resolution, I'm going to try and wear them different ways a few times this month. I can already picture the skirt with a striped, fitted sweater I have and I love wearing this tunic over leggings with a boyfriend blazer.
With combinations coming to mind so easily, this whole not-shopping thing shouldn't be too hard. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment