Tuesday, February 7, 2012

mini chicken meatballs

I am, by far, my biggest critic when it comes to my own cooking. While others are often raving about a meal I just prepared, I'm sitting there thinking that it could have had a little more of this or a little less of that. This meatball recipe is definitely an exception though. I'm so obsessed with them that I actually found myself saying I would gladly pay for them at a restaurant.
While this is one of those recipes that has a million little ingredients, these are the most essential (cherry tomatoes, any short cut pasta, chicken broth, ground chicken and bocconcini mozzarella)Also on my list of necessities for this recipe, a mini ice cream scoop. Sure, you could roll these out by hand (I did the first time I made them) but boy does this simple, $5 gadget make quick work for forming the 3 dozen meatballs that this recipe yields.

 After mixing all of the base ingredients (like the ketchup, bread crumbs and egg) then add the chicken. The NUMBER 1 RULE for this recipe is to not over-mix the meat. If you do, you'll end up with absurdly tough meatballs. Then use your scoop to portion out the meatballs.
Brown them in a pan coated with olive oil. You'll probably have to do this in batches so you don't over crowd the pan. Once you've browned all of the meatballs, add your halved cherry tomatoes with the chicken broth and let it cook down while it finishes cooking the meatballs. 
Then just top it off with the bocconcini and you're ready to serve!



*Note: While I love the flavor of the bocconcini, they really stick together and tend to get clumpy in the sauce. I suggest topping each serving with the cheese instead of just mixing it all together like it says in the recipe. Either way though, it's positively scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment