Sunday, May 22, 2011

soup for the soul

Stuck at home with a cold today, I decided to make myself some French Onion Soup. I tried this recipe for the first time about a month ago and it was a huge hit! The process is simple, but from start to finish the soup takes almost 2 hours so patience is definitely key here.
To start things off, I chopped up this enormous pile of onions, though it took a while seeing as I had to leave the room a few times to avoid tearing up.
After almost an hour in my favorite pot alongside an entire stick of butter and some fresh thyme, they had cooked down and become beautifully caramelized. While the smell alone was enough to make me want to eat it this way, I resisted the urge.
Instead, I drowned them in white wine, followed by a combination of both chicken and beef broth. A simmer on the stove for another 30 minutes and they were ready for the oven, topped with homemade croutons and cheese of course.
Hopefully a few bowls of this wonderful soup will help kick my cold, I’ve got a busy week ahead of me and can’t afford to spend it in bed. 

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment